MBBCh (Wits 1979); BA (Hons) PPE (Oxon 1983); MSc (with distinction) in Community Health (London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine 1986); Diploma in Occupational Health (with distinction) (Wits 1992).
Rhodes Scholarship, Oxford University (1980-1983) Okeke Prize and William Simpson prize as best MSc student (London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine 1986); Le Riche medal in postgraduate epidemiology (Wits, 1991); Four Outstanding Young South Africans (FOYSA) Award (1992); Takeni Fellowship, Harvard University (1994/5); Fellowship ad eundum of Faculty of Public Health Medicine of the Colleges of Medicine of South Africa (2004).
- Clinical work in hospitals and rural primary health care project (1981, 1984, 1985)
- Research fellow in health economics at London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (1986/7)
- Senior researcher at the Centre for Health Policy, Wits University (1988 - 1992)
- Director of Centre for Health Policy, Wits University (1992 - 1995)
- Visiting Takemi Fellow in International Health at the Harvard School of Public Health (1994/5)
- Dean, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of the Witwatersrand (1996 - 2006) and member of Senior Executive Team. As Dean, spearheaded a series of transformation initiatives, including Internal Reconciliation Commission; established new graduate entry medical degree, academic programmes in rural health, bioethics, sports medicine, emergency medicine, biomedical sciences; founded SA's first university-owned private teaching hospital and first university research company; raised over R130 million for new initiatives in the Faculty of Health Sciences.
- Currently an independent consultant in the fields of public health, health policy, medical education, and human resources for health planning. Also a consultant to the national Department of Education regarding financing the tertiary education of health professionals.
Other professional activities:
- Membership and executive positions in National Medical and Dental Association (1984-92), African National Congress health financing commission (1993/4) ,
Chair of Ministerial Committee on Health Care Financing (1994)
- Member, WHO/FAO/UNDP Tropical Disease Research programme (TDR) special task force on impact of health financing reform on tropical diseases (1996-1999)
- Chairperson of the national Committee of Medical Deans (1998-2002)
- Member of the Medical and Dental Professions Board of SA - appointed by the South African University Vice Chancellors Association, (1999 - present), and elected by M&DPB as representative on Health Professions Council of SA (2007)
- Chair of the Medical and Dental Professions Board sub-committee on Undergraduate Education and Training, responsible for accrediting all medical and dental programmes in SA
- Editorial Board, Bulletin of the World Health Organisation, (1999-present)
Research and publications:
One book, three chapters, 38 refereed journal articles, international and local, over 100 other articles, and academic conference papers: in health systems research, political economy of health; health economics and financing; privatisation and medical aids; rural health services; computer simulation modelling of health systems; medical education and human resources.