Dear colleagues and students
The inaugural UCT Day is almost here! Join the campus-wide day of celebration and giving on Friday, 6 October 2023. It's school holidays so bring along the family, friends and a picnic blanket to hang out with us (for an afternoon of fun, games and fundraising).
When: Friday, 6 October 2023
Where: UCT Upper Campus
UCT Day is for everyone. On UCT Day, we invite you to:
- Dress in UCT branded clothing or in UCT blue. Visit the pop-up UCT store, located on Cissy Gool Plaza, Chemistry Road on Upper Campus, on any day this week to stock up on official merchandise at discounted rates
- Round up colleagues and fellow students to take group photos or videos
- Share your UCT story by participating in the ‘I am UCT because …’ virtual challenge. We want to hear your UCT story
- Post your videos or photos on social media, tagging @UCTalumni and using #CelebrateUCTDay
- Amplify our call to support UCT students across your social networks.
Support UCT students
This October, show your support for UCT students by making a donation to the four UCT Day student fundraising initiatives. Your giving matters. Whether big or small, once-off or over a longer period, your donation has the power to change lives. Please consider making a gift today. For details on the student fundraising initiatives as well as how to make a donation, visit the UCT Day website.
Get ready for fun on UCT Upper Campus
Participation in all UCT Day activities is free of charge. Sign up for the team challenges scheduled to take place – you can challenge other departments and faculties to do the same – or simply relax and hang out with colleagues and friends on the Green Mile.
This is what you can expect on the day:
- 5km walkathon: Walk for a good cause and show support for UCT students. Did you know that October is Mental Health Awareness Month? Walking is great for your physical and mental well being. Bring your friends and family members for a gentle stroll or power walk activity designed to increase your energy levels and well being. The walk starts at 13:00 from Rugby Field B on upper campus. There will be spot prizes for the best dressed group or individual. Register online today.
- Wheelchair rugby: Come and cheer on the UCT wheelchair rugby teams as they battle it out in the ultimate test of endurance. Our amazing UCT cheerleaders will be there. The matches start at 13:00 in Hall 1, Sports Centre.
- UCT Amazing Race, powered by BMW Constantia: Do you know your UCT facts and figures? A total of 25 teams comprising four people each will race across campus to compete for the coveted UCT Day trophy, starting at 14:00 at the rugby fields. There are still a few team spots available so hurry and register your team of four today.
- Five-a-side soccer: This event is now fully subscribed. Come and cheer on your faculty or departmental team! Matches start at 14:00 in Halls 1 and 2, Sports Centre.
- The executive challenge takes place on the Green Mile (Field B) at 15:30. You do not want to miss this relay race!
- Meet the victorious Ikey Tigers who are back following a successful tournament in France. The Ikeys took the championship at the 2023 World University Rugby Invitational Tournament. Watch as they square off against the SRC in an epic battle and more. Let's give our Ikey Tigers the heroes’ welcome they deserve.
- Play on the giant inflatables, including bubble soccer, from 12:00 on the Green Mile (Field B).
- Eat out at the food trucks on the Green Mile (rugby fields). You can look forward to familiar campus favourites along with several external food trucks. Bring a picnic blanket and seating to chill on the Green Mile for the afternoon.
- Live music and full programming presented by UCT Radio.
- Zumba session: power-up at the warm-up session before the sport challenges begin. Stretch those muscles with us on the Green Mile at 12:00. Anyone can join. Have fun moving to music.
- Sign up for the following walking UCT tours:
- UCT Libraries Tours: on 6 October at 12:00, 13:00 and 14:00 (Jagger Library and Birkdale House).
- UCT Campus Sustainability Guided Walking Tours: on 5 and 6 October from 12:00 to 13:30.
- We end UCT Day with an outdoor movie experience hosted by our event partners, Sunshine Cinema, from 18:00 to 20:00. Free popcorn will be provided. Bring friends, family members, a picnic basket and comfortable seating along! Book your seat online today.
- For those participating in the team challenges, please visit the Development and Alumni Department registration table, which will be located at Field B from 12:00, to collect your colour-coded arm bands.
- Visit the UCT Day events page for the full schedule of exciting activities.
UCT Day is more than a celebration, it's a commitment to support our own. This year we are channeling our energies towards the four areas of student support. Please help us raise as much funds as we can for our students, and challenge others in your network to do the same. Make sure to catch the QR codes on the day to make your donation.
We look forward to seeing you on Friday, 6 October for a day of fun, reconnecting and fundraising in support of UCT students!
The UCT Day 2023 Team
Read previous communications: