Trouble-shooting from A–Z (almost)

24 January 2019

Falling behind in your coursework? Need advice about financing your degree? Worried about your career path or your mental health? Help is at hand – you just have to ask!

Concerned about your academics?

Talk to someone at your faculty office about the Extended Degree Programme (EDP), which allows you to take a bit more time (usually one more year) and offers you extra support to complete your degree. You get the same qualification at the end.

Having trouble adjusting to university life?

Every student entering higher education takes time to settle in. At UCT, the First-Year Experience creates a welcoming and supportive environment for first-years. The aim is to promote a holistic approach to student development that responds to your academic, social and material needs.

The First-Year Experience: Level 5, Huri  ǂoaxa (Hoerikwaggo) Building, Upper Campus. Call 021 650 4072, email or go to

Want career advice about subject choices?

UCT Careers Service helps students throughout their university journey, from making degree choices to preparing for a smooth transition to the world of work. It’s never too early to start planning, so sign up at MyCareer via the main Careers Service website.

UCT Careers Service: Level 1, Huri  ǂoaxa (Hoerikwaggo) Building, Upper Campus. Call 021 650 2497, email or go to

Need support for a disability?

UCT’s Disability Service, which falls under the Office for Inclusivity and Change (OIC), focuses on removing any physical, policy, attitudinal or information barriers that might deter disabled students and staff from achieving their full potential. This includes looking at improved access to facilities, extra time for tests and exams, accessible transport and providing South African Sign Language interpreters.

UCT Disability Service: Level 4, John Day Building, Upper Campus (access via lift or stairs). Call 021 650 2427, email or go to

Feel discriminated against?

Students experiencing harassment or discrimination (of any kind) don’t have to deal with it alone. The Office for Inclusivity and Change (OIC) offers a range of support services to ensure that the university is accessible and inclusive to all.

Office for Inclusivity and Change: Call 021 650 2767, email or go to

Need to resolve a dispute?

The Office of the Ombud provides an informal dispute resolution service to the university community. Operating outside the usual university academic and administrative structures, it’s a neutral, independent, informal and confidential resource to facilitate fair and equitable resolutions.

Office of the Ombud: Lover’s Walk Extension, Lower Campus. Call 021 650 3665, email or go to

Looking to polish those essay-writing skills?

Consultants at the UCT Writing Centre will help you improve the quality of your academic writing by assisting with referencing, guiding your thinking and making sure that you effectively present your academic argument.

Writing Centre: Level 6, Steve Biko Students’ Union Building, Upper Campus. Call 021 650 5021, email or go to

Where to find out about funding?

The Student Financial Aid Office aims to help as many financially disadvantaged students as possible.

Student Financial Aid Office: Level 3, Kramer Law Building, Middle Campus. Call 021 650 3545, email, or go to

Need answers to your housing questions?

The Student Housing Admissions and Advocacy Services in the Department of Student Affairs will answer your questions about residences and other student housing options.

Student Housing Admissions and Advocacy Services: Masingene Building, Middle Campus. Call 021 650 2977 or go to

Looking for an internship or a part-time job?

The Careers Service can help you write a curriculum vitae and cover letter for job and internship opportunities. It also offers advice about working in South Africa and overseas, and can help you access part-time work opportunities and internships. Sign up on MyCareer via the main Careers Service website.

UCT Careers Service: Level 1, Huri  ǂoaxa (Hoerikwaggo) Building, Upper Campus. Call 021 650 2497, email or go to

Need medical attention?

Make an appointment to see a doctor or nurse at the Student Wellness Service. Medication is available at a reduced price; the service offers support for chronic conditions like asthma, diabetes and tuberculosis; and they can help with minor surgical procedures. There is also a clinic on upper campus on level six of the Steve Biko Students’ Union building where you can see a nurse on a walk-in basis for minor ailments (08:30 to 16:30).

Student Wellness Service: Ivan Toms Building, 28 Rhodes Ave, Mowbray. Call 021 650 1017/20, email or go to

Want mental health support?

The Student Wellness Service in the Department of Student Affairs provides mental health support, psycho-education, counselling, and will make referrals for specialised support and care. They also offer support for relationship and sexual issues! You can also access psychological services on a walk-in basis – check the website for details. The South African Depression and Anxiety Group (SADAG) UCT Student Careline is your 24/7 source of help.

Student Wellness Service: Ivan Toms Building, 28 Rhodes Ave, Mowbray. Call 021 650 1017/20, email or go to

SADAG UCT Student Careline: 0800 24 25 26 (free from a landline), SMS 31393 (for a callback).

Concerned about safety?

Campus Protection Services (CPS) is responsible for campus security and safety 24/7 from six service centres. They’ll respond to any criminal activity or safety concerns you report.

CPS 24-hour hotline: 021 650 2222/3.

Trying to find sexual assault support?

Survivor Support in the Office for Inclusivity and Change (OIC) provides advice and assistance to students and staff in case of sexual assault and rape. The OIC works to ensure that all survivors of sexual violence receive compassionate care.

Survivor Support (OIC): Call 021 650 3530 or 072 393 7824 (24-hour standby number).

Rape Crisis: Call 021 447 9762.

Looking for help with your sexual health?

HIV testing and counselling, medication for sexually transmitted infections and basic contraceptives are provided free of charge by the Student Wellness Service. UCT’s Agents of Change Education (ACEs) peer educators, who operate out of the OIC, are also trained to educate their peers on matters of sexual health and diversity.

Student Wellness Service: Ivan Toms Building, 28 Rhodes Ave, Mowbray. Call 021 650 1017/20, email or go to

ACEs (OIC): Call 021 650 5948.

Can't find the answers you're looking for?

The Student Orientation and Advocacy Service offers general information on all aspects of campus life, including advice and referrals to other UCT services. Or ask for help at the Department of Student Affairs, which oversees all student services and activities.

Student Orientation and Advocacy Service: Room 201, Level 2, Computer Science Building (Cissie Gool Plaza), Upper Campus. Call 021 650 5082 or email

Department of Student Affairs: Steve Biko Students’ Union Building, Middle Campus. Call 021 650 3535 or go to

Creative Commons License This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.

Please view the republishing articles page for more information.