|As student numbers swelled in the 1920s, the Medical School's clinical teaching venues - the New Somerset Hospital and the Peninsula Maternity Hospital - could no longer meet the demand. So from the moment of its inception the school pressed for the construction of a modern general teaching hospital on the edge of the Groote Schuur Estate, to which the school would move in 1928. From 1933, students also started clinical training at the Free Dispensary in town and the Victoria Hospital in Wynberg. And even the opening of the 800-bed Groote Schuur Hospital in 1938 didn't quite meet the growing demand.||These days all health sciences students, from those in MBChB training to audiology, physiotherapy, occupational therapy and speech language therapy, complete their hands-on training across some 87 training facilities. These range from primary hospitals, district hospitals, secondary hospitals, tertiary hospitals, psychiatric hospitals and specialised hospitals, to a rehabilitation facility, metro ambulances, schools, retirement homes, and NGOs and private institutions. The newest facilities are the Vanguard Student Learning Centre in Bonteheuwel, and similar - if smaller - centres in Retreat and Hanover Park.|
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Please view the republishing articles page for more information.