|In 1943, a government inquiry found that conditions for clinical training at UCT were unsound, blaming the overlarge classes and the reliance on honorary visiting staff for most of the teaching. A committee examining problems at Groote Schuur Hospital in 1948 suggested a new system to staff the teaching hospitals with salaried doctors who would apportion their time equally between diagnosing, treating and teaching. In 1950, JFP Erasmus - who would later become the head of the division of surgery - became the first clinical professor to be appointed under the new Joint Staff Agreement.||The Joint Staff Agreement between the university and the Provincial Administration that was officially introduced in 1951 and would see both UCT and the Provincial Government contribute to salaries opened the way for a significant increase in teaching staff. Today, 51 years since its conception, the agreement has almost 800 people on the books - with approximately 734 staff on joint service from Provincial Government, and about 59 staff on joint agreements with the National Health Laboratory Service.|
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Please view the republishing articles page for more information.