Stay safe

20 January 2020

Here at UCT, we take the safety and security of students and staff very seriously. Check out the info below on staying safe both on and off campus.

Who is responsible for safety at UCT?

Campus Protection Services (CPS) is in charge of the safety and security at UCT. Save the CPS 24-hour toll free number — 080 650 2222 — on your phone now!

What do I do if I am criminally threatened?

If an armed person (or someone who claims to be armed) confronts you, give up your property immediately, get out of danger and contact CPS.

What safety precautions should I take on campus?

  • Use the Blue Walk Route — it has emergency phones and is monitored by camera.
  • Always keep your valuables out of sight, and never carry large sums of cash.
  • Lock doors and windows, even when leaving your room for a short time.
  • Save emergency numbers on your phone, and print a copy for your desk.
  • Get to know your neighbours and keep an eye out for one another.
  • Use the Jammie Shuttles — they operate 24/7 during term time.

What’s the best way to protect my property?

  • Keep doors locked and windows closed when you’re not in.
  • Don’t leave backpacks or bags unsupervised.
  • Keep a record of serial numbers and a description of your valuables.
  • Never leave items in view inside a parked car.
  • Invest in a steering or gear lock for your car, and a bike lock for your two-wheeler.

How do I stay safe using Ubers and taxis?

  • Request your ride inside a building.
  • Share rides whenever possible and tell a friend where you are going.
  • Don’t get into an empty taxi, and don’t sit in the back seat.
  • Only take taxis that are clearly identified with official markings.
  • If a taxi goes off route, demand that the driver stop to let you out.
  • Don’t display jewellery, cameras, cellphones and other valuables.
  • Keep your handbag shut and close to you, and keep your wallet out of sight.

Creative Commons License This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.

Please view the republishing articles page for more information.