There has been a lot of comment about dissatisfaction with the UCT email system; however, little seems to have been said about the UCT telephone messaging system, which is also completely unsatisfactory.
My gripes include:
- The system programmer was unable to get the counting right: it always announces the wrong number of new messages.
- There are numerous unintelligible options presented, instead of the few well-used ones someone like me needs.
- The numbers chosen for various response options are completely random and illogical; there is no underlying systematic use of these numbers.
- When reviewing messages one gets in a dead end; it is not possible to save a message and then go on to listen to the next one, so you can't review all the saved messages.
- Many of the options don't work, for example a "reply to this message" option always bombs out.
- When reviewing old messages after being told there are many waiting there for review, you are told "this message is too old and has been deleted" followed by a lot of meaningless stuff. You are then offered the option of deleting a message that has already been deleted.
Who is in charge? Surely UCT deserves something better?